GHK-Cu Copper Peptide
GHK-Cu is a tripeptide naturally present in human plasma. It’s released from tissues in response to injury . Because it has a high affinity for copper, GHK-Cu readily forms the GHK-Cu complex [2,6]. It also ha protective and regenerative properties, making GHK-Cu helpful in skincare and haircare products [1,5].
Mechanisms of action of GHK-Cu copper peptide
GHK-Cu copper peptide interacts with the skin through various mechanisms of action, contributing to its potential benefits for skin health. Here are the key insights:
Formation of GHK-Cu complex
GHK-Cu peptide readily forms a complex with copper ions (copper 2+), which is believed to be crucial for its biological activity. This complex is stable and plays a role in the peptide’s functions .
Stimulation of collagen synthesis
GHK-Cu has demonstrated the capacity to induce collagen synthesis, a vital protein responsible for imparting structural resilience to the skin. This phenomenon is instrumental in enhancing skin firmness and elasticity, consequently mitigating the visible signs of skin aging [2,3].
Wound healing and tissue regeneration
GHK-Cu has demonstrated the ability to accelerate wound healing and tissue regeneration. It promotes tissue growth, attracts immune cells to the site of injury, and supports the production of new blood vessels .
The GHK peptide has antioxidant properties and can help prevent oxidative stress in the skin. It regulates copper levels and modifies the expression of numerous antioxidant genes, potentially reducing the damaging effects of free radicals [2,3].
GHK-Cu is believed to have skin rejuvenating effects, improving skin texture, tone, and overall skin appearance. It can enhance skin elasticity, brightness, and firmness .
Regulation of gene expression
GHK-Cu has demonstrated the ability to influence the expression of numerous genes, including those associated with antioxidant protection and tissue renovation. These alterations in gene expression play a crucial role in the positive impact GHK-Cu has on skin.
However, it’s essential to acknowledge that while scientific evidence supports GHK-Cu’s mechanisms of action, individual outcomes may differ.
Ongoing research endeavors aim to provide a more comprehensive understanding of its potential advantages for skin health.
Stability and properties of GHK-Cu peptide
GHK-Cu peptide is highly hydrophilic and stable in water in the pH range of 4.5-7.4 buffers for at least two weeks at 60°C. It is prone to hydrolytic cleavage when subjected to oxidative stressors .
Benefits of GHK-Cu
- Skin regeneration: GHK-Cu stimulates collagen and glycosaminoglycan synthesis in skin fibroblasts, promoting wound healing and tissue remodeling. It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects [3,6]
- Hair growth: Copper is one of the micronutrients needed to produce melanin, which is responsible for hair color. GHK-Cu may stimulate hair follicles to receive adequate oxygen and nutrients to produce new hair growth .
- Gene expression modifier: GHK-Cu has been shown to modify the expression of numerous antioxidant genes . It also stimulates both synthesis and breakdown of proteins .
- Repair Skin Barrier: GHK-Cu is a copper-based peptide that can help to repair and strengthen the skin’s protective barrier proteins, reducing the risk of inflammation and infection. It is often referred to as a topical tripeptide copper complex.
Side effects of GHK-Cu peptide
GHK-Cu peptide has a favorable safety profile, but there are some potential side effects that should be monitored by a trained provider. The copper component of GHK-Cu can cause copper toxicity if prescribed incorrectly [8,9].
Reduction in blood pressure:
GHK-Cu possesses an anxiolytic effect, which can lead to a reduction in blood pressure levels. However, it’s essential to note that in elevated concentrations, this effect can become potentially hazardous and, in extreme cases, even life-threatening .
Injection site pain:
The subcutaneous or intramuscular administration of peptides in general is associated with injection site pain, lightheadedness, nausea, and even fainting in test subjects .
Skin irritation and redness:
GHK-Cu does have potential side effects, which may include skin irritation and redness. To ensure safety, it is crucial to conduct a patch test before applying the product to a larger skin area.
If needed, other protective skin barrier proteins can be applied. If any adverse reactions occur during use, it’s important to discontinue use promptly .
Monitoring of side effects
To confirm the presence of GHK-Cu in a skincare or hair product, it is crucial to meticulously review the ingredient labels. GHK-Cu should be listed as one of the primary ingredients to ensure its efficacy .
Physicians closely monitor the side effects of GHK-Cu peptide through regular check-ups and blood tests. This vigilance is vital in assessing and mitigating the risk of copper toxicity caused by the copper component .
Choosing High-Quality GHK-Cu Copper Peptide Products
- Brand and Manufacturer Selection: Prioritize established and reputable brands and manufacturers renowned for their consistent production of high-quality skincare products. A reliable resource for identifying such brands and manufacturers is ResearchChemical.com, a website dedicated to evaluating and endorsing trusted sources.
Product Type: GHK-Cu is a versatile ingredient featured in an array of skincare products, ranging from serums to creams and lotions. To make an informed choice, assess your specific skin requirements and opt for a product tailored to your skin type and concerns.
- Ingredient Scrutiny: Exercise diligence by meticulously reviewing the product’s ingredient list. Ensure GHK-Cu is prominently featured as one of the primary constituents. Furthermore, prioritize products devoid of harmful chemicals and additives, emphasizing safety and efficacy.
- Research and Consultation: For personalized guidance, contemplate seeking counsel from a qualified dermatologist or skincare expert. Their expertise can be invaluable in selecting the ideal GHK-Cu product tailored to your unique skincare needs.
Overall, it is important to choose high-quality GHK-Cu copper peptide products to ensure their effectiveness and safety.
By considering the above factors, you can make an informed decision and select a product that is suitable for your skin and needs.
When you buy GHK cu copper peptide, choose only high quality suppliers like Research Chemical to ensure that your research outcomes are as safe and precise as possible.
GHK-Cu Copper Peptide is a naturally occurring tripeptide composed of the amino acids glycine, histidine, and lysine, with a copper ion attached to it. It is found in human serum and has been used as a powerful ingredient in hair and cosmetic products for its regenerative and protective properties 
GHK-Cu Copper Peptide can be used topically in skincare products such as creams, serums, and lotions. It can also be administered through injections for specific purposes in science and research. The specific usage instructions may vary depending on the product and individual needs
Yes, there is research supporting the use of GHK-Cu Copper Peptide. Studies have investigated its mechanisms of action, benefits for skin health, and its potential in wound healing and tissue regeneration [1,3]. However, it is important to note that further research is still ongoing to fully understand its effects.
Scientific Research & References:
1. Pickart L, Margolina A. Regenerative and Protective Actions of the GHK-Cu Peptide in the Light of the New Gene Data. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Jul 7;19(7):1987. doi: 10.3390/ijms19071987. PMID: 29986520; PMCID: PMC6073405.
2. Pickart L, Vasquez-Soltero JM, Margolina A. GHK Peptide as a Natural Modulator of Multiple Cellular Pathways in Skin Regeneration. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:648108. doi: 10.1155/2015/648108. Epub 2015 Jul 7. PMID: 26236730; PMCID: PMC4508379.
3. Pickart L, Vasquez-Soltero JM, Margolina A. GHK-Cu may Prevent Oxidative Stress in Skin by Regulating Copper and Modifying Expression of Numerous Antioxidant Genes. Cosmetics. 2015; 2(3):236-247. https://doi.org/10.3390/cosmetics2030236
4. Bard, D. (2023, August 13). GHK-Cu Peptide: What is it and what are its benefits? [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4WJukt1Zc4
5. Amodei, K. (2022, January 25). Copper peptides: Benefits, side effects, and how to use. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/copper-peptides
6. Wikipedia contributors. (2023, August 13). Copper peptide GHK-Cu. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_peptide_GHK-Cu
7. Pickart L, Vasquez-Soltero JM, Margolina A. The human tripeptide GHK-Cu in prevention of oxidative stress and degenerative conditions of aging: implications for cognitive health. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:324832. doi: 10.1155/2012/324832. Epub 2012 May 10. PMID: 22666519; PMCID: PMC3359723.
8. Li, H., Toh, P. Z., Tan, J. Y., Zin, M. T., Lee, C. Y., Li, B., … & Kang, L. (2016). Selected biomarkers revealed potential skin toxicity caused by certain copper compounds. Scientific Reports, 6(1), 37664.
9. Pickart, L. (2008). The human tri-peptide GHK and tissue remodeling. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, 19(8), 969-988.
By purchasing from ResearchChemical.com, you acknowledge and agree that you are acquiring Research Chemicals.
These chemical substances are specifically designed for utilization in scientific and medical research endeavors. It is important to note that these research chemicals are exclusively intended for laboratory use. They are not sold for consumer use.
Please be advised that the statements made on this website have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Furthermore, the products offered by this company are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
The information provided on this website is solely for informational and educational purposes and should not be considered as medical advice or a substitute for professional medical guidance.
ResearchChemical.com, its manufacturers, sellers, and distributors hold no liability for any consequences arising from the misuse, improper handling, or usage of these chemicals.
Please be aware that the sale and purchase of these chemicals may be subject to legal restrictions and regulations in some jurisdictions. It is the buyer’s responsibility to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.